Monday, October 4, 2010

Masterpiece Monday: Boy Books

I came across this wonderful post all about literature for teens in general but especially for the young male reader. It is the first blog post I have read on the subject that kept my attention and made me REALLY think about the matter. I mean, I know it is a tricky predicament to encourage the young male audience to read when the market seems to be targeting more of a female audience. The author has some great points. So check it out!

If you are having a particularly difficult time helping your your son(s) in finding good reads specifically for them, here are some websites you can rely on:

Guys Lit Wire
Guys Read

Here are a few suggestions for MG readers:

Frindle by, Andrew Clements

The Big Stink: Nathan Abercrombie Accidental Zombie
by, David Lubar

The Kneeebone Boy

Dodger For Sale
by, Jordan Sonnenblick (this one is the last installment in a series, so go find the others).

Justin Case: School, Drool, and Other Daily Disasters
by, Rachel Vail

Bobby vs Girls
by, Lisa Yee

The Magic Thief
by, Sarah Prineas

Peter and the Starcatchers (series)
by, Dave Barry

The Pickle King
by, Rebecca Promitzer


A few suggestions for YA readers:


Brooklyn Knight
 by, CJ Henderson

Nothing
by, Janne Teller


by, Jennifer Hubbard

The Stone Travelor



Books By John Green


Paper Towns

An Abundance of Katherines



So there you have it guys!

Feel free to list some of your favorites in the comments! If you know of other guy read websites list those too. 

7 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and can I just say, I LOVE your picture at the top of the page!! So beautiful!

    I haven't read all these books you've named! I'm going to look for them. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love John Green. I think he has some fantastic books for boys. Also, Gary Paulsen is always high up on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hannah:
    Thanks for mentioning Gary!

    Melissa: I'm in love with it too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting! I love your blog header too! It's sooo eye-catching and colorful. I don't know any guys read websites, but the Artemis Fowl books are really good. I think they're MG and the MC is a boy :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. There really isn't a big market for the young male readers... they tend to jump from MG straight to mainstream. So this is great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bethany: Artemis Fowl=Way cool!

    Lynda Young: I wish there were more books for boys, especially since I have a son (much too young now) but who will be reading before I know it!

    I also forgot to mention Rick Riordan is a good author with his Percy Jackson series. Then there is the Leven Thumps series and The Spider Chronicles and also Guardians of Ga'hoole for MG readers. We can't forget the classics though. There are some great classics for guys, like The Chronicles of Narnia, The Count of Monte Cristo, Tolkein's books, The Yearling, Where the Red Fern Grows To Kill a Mockingbird. Edgar Allen Poe has so interesting stories for guys too! I know it is only MG but at least it is available. I'm still looking into more male YA. I'd like to do more posts on it.

    ReplyDelete

Comments that are inappropriate for younger audiences will be deleted. Keep it clean!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails